What are some Native American surnames
Tribe names and teepee house rules
What word or language do the names of an Indian tribe go back to?
Here are some examples:
Crow: Ap-sa-ru-ke or Ap-sa-ro-ke; after crow-like bird, which was already extinct by the time they came into contact with whites.
probably derived from the Pawnee word Tirapihu or Larapihu = trader, Algonquin tribe.
Ari-ca-ri = elk horns or horned elk.
Chippewa word: Assi-nibo-in = stone cooker, which roughly means = one who cooks on stones, also called "the stony ones".
Choctaw word for ogre.
Blackfeet word at-se-na = brave people; closest relative of the Arapaho. Called big bellies by the whites because they lived on the big bellied river.
Sub-tribes called each other Tayshas = allies or friends. Tayshas is a variation of a caddo word.
Choctaw word: Chi-luk-ki = cave people belonging to the Iroquois nation.
Chippewa or Ojibway
from Ojib = to wrinkle and ub-way = to rust, which refers to the furrowed seam of their moccasins.
Called themselves Ne'me'ne = people - belongs to the Uto-Aztec language family.
Santee dialect word = allies, most important group of the powerful Sioux language family.
Algonquin tribe who called themselves "Lenape = we, the people".
= Willow, tribe of the Sioux language family.
The word "Iroquois" is of French origin (Iroquois, Hiroquois, Irocois, Yroquois, Yrocois), the Dutch called them Maquas (Mackwaas, Mahakuase), the Delawars Mengwe.
They called themselves "Ipa-n'de" = "people" - Apache language "Xicarillas" or "Hikkorias", Apache tribe.
They called themselves "Nadi-isha-Dena" - which means "princely people"
= Am-great-Berg, tribe of the Wappinger Confederation.
= Am-great hill, Algonquin tribe.
Chippewaq word: means = wild rice
Algonquian language = great water.
= our allies, Algonquin tribe.
Also Mimbres = willow, Apache tribe
The name means man, great tribe of California.
Modoc word Maotokni = the southern ones.
= Three mountains, large tribe of the Yuma group.
They-eat-live-meat are also cannibals, the great eastern tribe of the Iroquois League.
Papago words: Pahpah = beans and ootam = people, people of the Uto-Aztec language family.
means = the smashers.
Papago word A-kimel-o'otam = river people, agricultural people of the Uto-Aztec language family.
called themselves Flathead Forgotten People
Derived from the Spanish Cimarron = game; Seminoles means = those who live outside. People of the Muskhogee language family.
= People-of-the-rocks, Mohegan tribe, belonged to "5 nations" of the Iroquois.
= Pedestrian, term for a subgroup of the Shoshone
The Da-coh-tah called themselves "friend"
Tipi house rules
The Plain tribes had mostly similar social house rules:
Note: We have a lot to learn there.
- If the entrance was open, a friend could enter immediately, but if it was locked, he had to make himself known and wait until the owner asked him to enter.
- A male enters the tipi and stands a few steps to the right until the host asks him to sit in the guest area (behind him on the left).
A female visitor steps into the tent behind a male visitor and takes a few steps to the left. It stops there.
- Those invited to a celebration bring their own crockery and cutlery and eat everything that is offered to them. A visitor never steps between the seated person and the fire, but always moves behind the seated person, who leans forward to make it easier for him to walk.
- Women never sit with their legs crossed, but rather on their heels or with their legs drawn up to the side.
- In a group of men, only the elders begin the conversation. The younger ones politely wait to be asked to speak.
- When the host cleans his pipe, all visitors should leave.
© - All rights reserved
- Is Amazon bad for small businesses
- What is a URN number
- When should I switch my BPO jobs?
- How popular is ISL outside of India
- What are some fashion clothes
- What's the best totally unhopped ale
- Can mute deaf people
- What are limiting beliefs
- What is local wisdom
- What is an entropy 1
- Which scholarships do not require an essay
- What is the origin of maam
- What is dream work
- What is the scope of emergency medicine
- What is the difference between Modi and Hitler
- Ruined Westernization India
- Where is South America
- How do I get freelance work
- How do I boycott Muslims
- How important is trust in marriage
- Avengers Infinity War is the greatest movie of all time
- What are some examples of moral values
- What is your most satisfying achievement
- All Australians have convicted ancestors