How stressful is your job
Stress at Work - 15 Tips for Dealing with Stress at Work
The overtime is piling up, and yet you can hardly cope with your area of responsibility? You are an employee and not a machine and therefore sooner or later you have the feeling of stress or fear of the consequences of the stress. In the meantime you are sure that the quality of work is also suffering from all the pressure and are you afraid of getting burned out? In this article, we give employees tips that can help you cope with stress at work, protect your health and get your work back on track.
15 tips against stress at work
Spatial order in the workplace
- Try to structure your office as well as possible. The individual tasks should be visually different so that there is no chaos or the feeling of being overwhelmed in stressful times. Utensils such as files, foils, etc. help with this. The desk should be tidied up at the end of the working day and there should be enough space to work during working hours.
- Such an order is not only important for the quality of the work and the quicker retrieval of the individual documents: With a tidy desk one also feels mentally more comfortable.
Try to organize your work into small bites. To-do lists, in which you sort the tasks according to priority, help: Which tasks need to be processed particularly perfectly? On the other hand, post-its, which you use to wallpaper your screen, are less helpful: They can even make you feel like you can no longer control the chaos.
Take advantage of your own high-performance phases
One person is most productive at 10 a.m., the other at 2 p.m. You probably know when you are performing at your best yourself. If possible, schedule important tasks during this time. This way you can be sure that the activities that are most valued are being carried out with maximum concentration.
Self-praise doesn't stink
- Emotion magazine recommends women occasionally praising themselves in front of their boss (men would supposedly do this anyway). In this way, the manager becomes aware of the successes already achieved and has more understanding if not all tasks can be mastered with more stress.
- It is also advisable to tell your colleagues what you have achieved. If you only complain about the stress, you will sooner or later be dismissed as incompetent or annoying.
Did you skip the lunch break because there simply wouldn't be enough time for work? If possible, this should never be the case, because a lunch break is mandatory by law for more than 6 hours a day. If at any point during the rest of the time you feel that you can no longer concentrate on your work, you can take a short break.
- Those who live healthily can deal with stress much better than someone who mainly eats fast food and never does sports. Foods that are particularly good at reducing stress are: Nuts, green vegetables, dark chocolate and Bananas. Make sure you get enough sleep and enough time in the fresh air. Ensure a fulfilling private life and cultivate your friendships in your free time!
- Do not drag yourself to work sick, even if there is still so much to do! The mistakes you make because of a cold and the like can have far-reaching consequences. In addition, none of your colleagues will thank you for getting infected.
Relaxation in everyday life
To quickly recharge your batteries, you can attend an autogenic training course. There you will learn how to relax well within a short period of time. But autogenic training isn't the only relaxation method. For example, mediation, yoga or breathing exercises can also help you switch off from your job. Trying is better than studying: Not every relaxation method has a relaxing effect on every person. Therefore, you should try out for yourself what will bring the greatest benefit to you.
Conscious breaks in communication
Nobody can be expected to be available around the clock. Therefore, switch off your mobile phone when you are resting or in your free time. The best thing to do is to discuss with your boss when you should be available. Because if you just turn off your cell phone unannounced, you can feel guilty and have serious consequences.
Communication of grievances
Your colleague does not have enough work while you can hardly save yourself from tasks? This does not always have to be because your colleague may be able to work more efficiently or faster than you. In such and similar cases, you can coordinate and ask your employer to distribute the areas of responsibility differently.
If your colleagues also complain about too much stress at work, it can make sense to ask the employer to hire another employee.
Don't always say yes
Your tasks are getting too much for you, and now a colleague or boss comes up to you with another concern? You don't know where to get the time from? Then be brave and say no once in a while. But explain your situation to the supplicant: You are already overloaded yourself and do not know how to cope with your own tasks. In addition, your colleague probably also wants the tasks to be done in high quality.
Provide a well-trained representative
You can hardly enjoy your vacation because you know that vacation replacement means a lot of rework for you? When you are sick, do you just stay at home with a guilty conscience because you have to keep thinking about the constantly growing mountain of work? Then talk to your manager about the fact that more time needs to be allocated to training a substitute. A simple briefing is often not enough. The representative should also have the opportunity to ask questions.
Use vacation and weekend to relax
In addition to a well-trained vacation replacement, the following things will help you to really relax on vacation:
- Design your vacation so that it is relaxing for you. For one person this can mean that he is going on one sightseeing trip after the other, for another person that he is lazy in a hammock.
- The length of time that is spent on vacation is also not to be underestimated. It is best to take a two-week vacation, as a few days are usually not enough to relax well.
Conversations about work
In meetings you can talk about your chronic stress situation. If the workload is too much for one person, ask your coworkers for help with work. You can also discuss with your friends which behavior is the right one in your current situation. If your friends are getting annoyed about the subject, but you feel the need to talk to someone about your problems and you're worried about slipping into depression or burnout, it makes sense to talk to a therapist . However, before you take this step, you should try to solve the problems at work.
The shortest possible commute to work
- Do you commute to your job and spend many hours a week on the road? If you love your job, it can make sense to move.
- For some, however, it may be enough to switch from public transport to cycling. Maybe you can find a faster way to the office!
Change of job if the field of activity is incorrect
- If the work is a lot of fun and you can realize yourself to a certain extent in it, you can often overlook a little stress and chaos. It looks different if you think that you do not want to pursue this field of activity on a permanent basis. In this case, it makes more sense to look elsewhere.
- Even if you are interested in the tasks but have been unhappy in your work for a long time, it makes sense to change jobs, especially if you are already bullied by your colleagues for the constant complaint about the stress.
- You will encounter stressful situations in every workplace. However, if you are sure that the field of work in another company will be just as stressful, and you know that you cannot bear this kind of stress, you can think about a change of industry or a retraining.
The most important things to keep in mind
Those who have a good visual structure in their office will also find it harder to overcome the feeling of stress. To-do lists can also help to set priorities and better structure individual work. When the most important tasks are carried out, you should, if possible, adapt to your own biorhythm.
So that the supervisor knows what he has in you as an employee, it can make sense to mention your current achievements and successes. Even if you cannot cope with your workload, you can show what you have already achieved in this way.
If you can no longer concentrate, take a short break. Your vacation replacement should be trained as well as possible and your vacation should be spent in such a way that you can relax optimally. A healthy lifestyle helps you master your job tasks well. Also ensure active relaxation in everyday life and don't leave your smartphone running around the clock.
It is also important that your self-confidence does not depend solely on what you achieve in your work. Preserve or create other areas from which you can gain self-affirmation, such as exciting hobbies or good friendships.
When the child has already fallen into the well
Anyone who is already sick from stress - whether physically or mentally - must draw the conclusions from it: In less serious cases autogenic training or meditation can help, in more serious cases psychotherapy.
If you cannot cope with your workload at all, a conversation with your supervisor is essential. And if the problems cannot be resolved, you should seriously consider changing jobs. In some cases, a 2-week vacation and the hiring of another colleague are enough to recharge your batteries.
Current job offers
For reasons of readability, we use the masculine form (generic masculine), e.g. B. "the employee". We always mean all genders in terms of equal treatment. The shortened language form has editorial reasons and is neutral.
- Are Tissot automatic watches good
- What does ethical behavior cover
- Which future career plan should I follow?
- What is a good engagement ring
- UK universities prefer international students
- What are different types of settings
- What is the largest target store
- What are unconscious behaviors
- Does TikTok have an anti-Muslim stance?
- How much are BARC scientists paid
- What technology is behind BrowserStack
- What is the effect of political globalization?
- Will Sunrisers Hyderabad win the 2017 IPL
- What makes you different from your company
- Will ban Google torrent sites
- How do I not start a business?
- What are state funds used for?
- Is Eugene Lee Yang from Buzzfeed gay
- Why does the government use a census?
- Killing business schools creativity
- Why do I hate getting dressed well
- What are the funniest Asterix books
- What should everyone know about public relations
- What is the Patrachar CBSE