Is health insurance preventing people from retiring?
German pension insurance
German pension all over the world
We pay around 1.8 million pensions annually in over 150 countries around the world. The recipients are Germans who live abroad and people of other nationalities who have worked in Germany and are entitled to a pension.
Source:German pension insurance
What counts for the pension
However, each state pays its own pension. Depending on where you live, German and foreign periods count together to calculate your pension entitlement and your pension.
You can find out which times count and how the pension is calculated here.Pension abroad - periods spent abroad count as well
Apply for a pension at home and abroad
Apply for a pension in the country where you live. Often a single application is sufficient for all pensions at home and abroad.How to apply for your pension abroad
Moving abroad as a pensioner
If you move abroad as a pensioner, your pension will go with you.
The only exception: So far, you have not only received a disability pension for medical reasons, but because the labor market in Germany is closed to you. In this case there may be restrictions.
Whether the amount of your pension changes depends on
- whether you are only abroad temporarily or are moving permanently
- in which country you would like to live in the future and
- whether foreign periods were taken into account in the German pension calculation.
Find out what you need to know before moving abroad.Moving abroad as a pensioner
Source:German pension insurance
Health insurance abroad: where are you insured?
How you have health and long-term care insurance abroad depends, for example, on the country in which you now live and whether you receive a pension in that country. It is also important whether you live abroad only temporarily or permanently.
Basically:If you were compulsorily insured in Germany, you will remain compulsorily insured in the statutory German health insurance even if you move within the European Union.
If you have voluntary health insurance, we can, under certain conditions, also pay an allowance for your health insurance contributions.
Find out more from your health insurance company. Further information can also be found on the website of the German Liaison Office for Health Insurance - Abroad (DVKA).
Where is your pension taxed?
So-called "downstream taxation" has been in effect in Germany since 2005. This means that your financial expenses for retirement provision will become increasingly tax-free. For this, however, your pension income will later be taxed individually.
In order to avoid double taxation, Germany has so-called double taxation agreements with many countries.
Be sure to find out more from your tax office, an income tax aid association or a tax advisor.
If you live abroad and receive a German pension, your contact person is:
- Does globalization-free trade fit together?
- How accurate is Google Translate in 2019
- Are the UAE the best model against democracy
- Did you ever have to forgive yourself?
- How do I buy gold
- Did Trump save the US auto business?
- Why is GitHub aggressively recruiting
- What is ADGPI in Indian Army
- Can Pakistan defeat Israel in a war
- What are the best current Christian films of all time
- Was Nehru a Muslim or a pundit?
- How can I become a deep person
- What is the best program for magazine design
- Are gravity blankets worth the cost
- Why is Panama so poor
- What is the importance of journalism
- What is the definition of the doctrine of supremacy
- Why did you paint your room blue?
- How do you bake a sweet potato
- Who would win Wolverine or Thor?
- Are silent people perceived as innocent
- Do you want social media to end?
- Why did Forever 21 fail abroad
- How can you describe the rainy season
- Why did the Africans resist imperialism?
- Is my AADAR card connected to the cell phone?
- Can you swim in 10 degrees water
- How would one interpret disturbing dreams
- What are the different uses of the technology
- What is your favorite Christmas drink
- How should I start learning BIM
- How is Turkey connected with turkeys?
- What is the crime rate in Argentina?
- Who wrote your favorite poem?