What is Melbourne famous for
Melbourne City Guide
You might also be interested in these articles
Melbourne is the capital of the state of Victoria in Australia. The metropolis on the Yarra River is the second largest city in Australia with 4.2 million inhabitants. Many Australians and travelers keep reporting the rivalry between Sydney and Melbourne in Australia. I see that quite differently. Because both cities have their own charm and appeal.
Ticket information for youView ticket
The TOP sights in Melbourne
- Skydeck in the Eureka Tower: At 297 meters, the Eureka Tower is one of the tallest skyscrapers in the southern hemisphere. It is located in the center on the Southbank Promenade along the Yarra River. From here you have the best view over the city and region. You can get tickets here. (Address: 7 Riverside Quay, Southbank)
- Melbourne Museum: In changing exhibitions you will learn a lot about the culture, history, environment and life in the metropolis (address: Melbourne Museum, 11 Nicholson Street, Carlton).
- Queen Victoria Market: At the Queen Victoria Market you can get everything - in addition to food such as fresh fruit, vegetables and fish, you will also find handmade souvenirs and art. (Address: Corner of Elizabeth & Victoria Streets)
- Melbourne Star Observation Wheel: The largest Ferris wheel in Australia is located on the Docklands. From here you can see Melbourne from above in an impressive way. To the tickets. (Address: 101 Waterfront Way, Docklands).
- St. Kilda Pier: The pier of St. Kilda is my personal highlight, because this is where penguins come to the beach in the evening hours. A MUST SEE in Melbourne that is also free.
Here you can find out which other sights Melbourne has to offer.
The Melbourne Pass
To save money on entry to these attractions, we recommend that you buy one Melbourne Pass. Depending on which sights you want to visit and in which period you want to visit them, you can choose between different types of sightseeing passes. We have broken down the differences for you.
Things to do in Melbourne
You can do a lot of things in Melbourne, because the city and the surrounding area of Melbourne have a lot to offer. Here you can find our top things to do in Melbourne:
- Melbourne Tour:In order to understand Melbourne, we recommend this combination of tour and drive. You will first get to know the highlights of the city with its hidden alleys and street art on a tour, and then take the bus to the less easily accessible highlights. Here you can find out more about the sightseeing tour, which is really worth it.
- Boat tour on the Yarra River:Get to know Melbourne from the water on this 2-hour boat tour from the water. Go to the boat tour here.
- To the Sunset at St. Kilda Pier: Watch the sun go down and the glittering city lights wake up! By the way, you can here
- Great Ocean Road Tour: We always recommend that you explore the Great Ocean Tour in a few more days. If you don't have the time, this tour is perfect for getting to know all the highlights. Learn more about this tour.
- In a hot air balloon at sunrise: It is uniquely beautiful to glide over the capital of Victoria in a hot air balloon at sunrise. You can see how the city comes to life. You can find out more about the tour here.
The lively metropolis on the Yarra River has a lot to offer. Their boutiques and second hand stores attract fashionistas from all over the world. But also art galleries, graffiti street art and historical buildings next to the latest architecture leave many astonished. The Yarra Valley with one of the most important wine-growing regions in Australia and the Great Ocean Road, which is practically around the corner, make the metropolis on the Yarra River one of the most popular metropolises in Australia.
The best helicopter flights
You get the best view of the city from the air. With a helicopter flight you can discover all the sights from the air and experience them all over again. We have broken down which helicopter flights are worthwhile in Australia and which sights you can see with which helicopter flight.
The best rooftop bars in Melbourne
The Emerson Rooftop Bar
One of our favorite rooftop bars is The Emerson. In the trendy South Yarra district you have a club downstairs and a rooftop bar upstairs. From here you have one of the most beautiful views of the skyline. Not exactly cheap, but it is definitely worth a visit!
- Address: 141-145 Commercial Road, South Yarra
- To the website
Naked in the Sky
The rooftop bar on the roof of the Naked for Satan in Fitzroy offers you a great view over the rooftops of Melbourne. Enjoy your drink at sunset with the sounds of the Beatles, Frank Sinatra and Ray Charles.
You can't have good drinks and the best view? But! You have everything at once from the Rooftop Bar of the Imperial Hotel. You can enjoy your drinks and have the best view of Parliament House from above.
Restaurants in Melbourne
It is not for nothing that Melbourne is unofficially called the capital of pleasure in Australia. From star restaurants to hidden locations, you will find something for every taste. We show you the best restaurants in Melbourne.
If you ask Melbournians where to have a great night out, Cumulus Inc is sure to be named! The restaurant has an open kitchen, is modern and is known for ingenious creations and fresh oysters!
Cutler & Co
You can find Cutler & Co in an old factory, converted into one of the hottest spots. Andrew McConnel conjures up literally new creations here. We especially like the dishes to share - e.g. the Smoked Maple Glazed Muscovy Duck. An absolute taste experience.
One of the most beautiful locations and fine dining can be found in the Stokehouse in St. Kilda. The selection of dishes is clear, but all the fresher. The Salt Grass Lamb is absolutely delicious.
Best time to visit Melbourne
For your travel preparation you should note that the weather in Melbourne is quite changeable and "four seasons in a day" (four seasons in one day) are not uncommon. Summer extends from December to February, these are the warmest months with an average of around 25 degrees Celsius, but at the beginning of March we were already over 40 degrees C. So be prepared.
HT = hot but dry
= best travel time to Australia, mostly warm and dry
Ü = transition temperatures; sometimes warm, sometimes cold, sometimes dry, sometimes rainy
KR = cold and rainy
Hotels in Melbourne
Melbourne has a lot of great places to stay - from the best hotels along the Yarra River to apartments in St. Kilda to simple hotels that can easily save you a ton of money. Enter your travel dates here to see which accommodations are available that suit you during your stay in Melbourne.
Arrival in Australia: Melbourne
Coming from Germany, the best way to fly to Australia Melbourne is by plane. Since the route is too far for a continuous flight, you have to make (at least) one stop, which can vary depending on the airline.
With the SkyBus you can travel every 10 minutes from Tullamarine Airport to Southern Cross Station in central Melbourne. The bus also goes to selected hotels, so with a bit of luck the bus will even take you to the hotel entrance. It is best to ask the bus driver whether your hotel is one of the options.
From Tullamarine International Airport you have several options to drive into the city. Of course you can get into town by taxi, which is quite expensive. If you still want to use a transfer service and want to be driven directly from the airport in Tullamore to your hotel, then you can also book an airport transfer service in advance.
Out and about in Melbourne
In the center the City Circle from the Central Business District to Docklands. This is a free - rather touristy - tram that runs every few minutes clockwise and anti-clockwise every day. It goes to the following stations: Flinders Street, Harbor Esplanade, Docklands Drive, La Trobe Street, Victoria Street, Nicholson Street and Spring Street.
If you want to use public transport, you should get one MyKi card to get. The system is a little more complicated than we are used to in Germany. You have to top up the card with money before you start your journey. If you don't live near a sales stand such as the Seven-Eleven supermarket or a major train station, I recommend that you buy the card in advance.
What makes Melbourne so fascinating?
The city impresses with its lifestyle. Here you will find modern skyscrapers alongside old Victorian buildings. It is not for nothing that Melbourne is also called the cultural capital of Australia. Here you will find amazing graffiti in the streets, great museums, the best shopping opportunities both in ingenious second-hand stores and shopping centers. But the quality of life is not neglected either, be it a day on the beach in St. Kilda, a trip to the Wilsons Promontory National Park or along the Great Ocean Road route. You will find what you are looking for in Melbourne.
You might also be interested in these articles
The state of Victoria in AustraliaThe state of Victoria is located in southeast Australia and is the smallest state in the country in terms of area. With over 5.8 ...
The best attractions in MelbourneMy choice of the best sights in Melbourne will give you a good insight into life in the southernmost Australian metropolis ...
The Great Ocean RoadThe Great Ocean Road is the most famous travel route in Australia - even though it is only 300 kilometers long ...
- Why does China have a stable government
- How are Vietnamese names structured
- Would INTJs be more sympathetic or intimidating
- Who is the INFP's worst enemy
- Introversion always means being boring
- How does education affect poverty?
- What are treated diamonds
- What is the definition of professional communication
- Why is Japan called Ilbon in Korean
- How do Gujaratis do business
- People become overly sensitive
- How can imprisoned immigrants be better treated?
- What advantages do typewriters have over computers?
- What gives you meaning and motivation
- Why do you want to join AFMC
- How many boys have tried to wear panties
- Should I invest in silver now? Why?
- Who updates the information on Google
- Which is the best preschool in Pune
- What is special about Japan?
- How do I clean a beautiful watch
- America is no better than Russia
- What is the name of this type of earring
- What is Gemporia