What is the definition of professional communication
Communication in nursing needs to be learned
Nursing professionals communicate constantly in their everyday life - be it with patients, relatives or within the team. Emotional situations, explaining complex problems or stress can make communication difficult. Choosing the right way of communication comes with a lot of responsibility in such situations. Because it affects the well-being of patients and can thus both promote and reduce the healing process. In addition, communication has an impact on how efficiently a care team can work and how well you get along in the team.
With a confident demeanor, nurses convey professional competence and gain more trust. Non-verbal forms of communication such as body language, facial expressions and gestures also play an important role. Through conscious communication, nurses can also protect themselves from negative consequences. This means that there are fewer misunderstandings, fainting situations, exhaustion and illnesses.
6 Basics of Good Communication in Nursing
But what exactly is good communication in the nursing profession? The following six points can serve as guidelines for the practical application of conscious interviewing:
1.Positive mood: While a positive mood cannot be forced, a confrontational negative mood should definitely be avoided. Of course, you can't avoid negative feelings - but it is important to remain professional in such situations and not let anything show you.
2. Simple, clear language: Ambiguous terms, abbreviations and medical jargon should be avoided. The carer should speak the same "language" as the patient or relatives.
3.Balanced listening and speaking: Interrupting each other, not listening properly, or concentrating on yourself significantly reduces the quality of the conversation. For communication and relationship work, it is beneficial if there is a balanced relationship between speaking and listening.
4. Understanding check: Repeating what patients say to check whether they have been understood correctly is one of the most important communication techniques in nursing. That way, misunderstandings can be avoided. At the same time, the other person feels that you are listening carefully.
5. Thinking in: Defending your own opinion instead of understanding the opinion of the other person usually does not help. The acceptance of other positions is also important for successful work within the nursing team. So before you simply contradict the other person, it is advisable to think your way around the person and consider why they think that way.
6. Mutual appreciation: Positive feedback helps any relationship. Whether in a team or with patients - mutual appreciation promotes well-being in the nursing profession and lifts the mood between two people.
Mastering critical situations
Many different characters come together in healthcare. In order to communicate consciously and correctly with someone you have to know their characteristics. For example, some patients perceive silence as an appreciation, while others like it to be lively discussed with them. Communication therefore differs from situation to situation. It becomes particularly difficult when patients become abusive or have a certain clinical picture such as Alzheimer's. In such situations it is important to know how to react and which rules of the game are to be followed. Correct communication in the health sector therefore needs to be learned from the ground up, but it also requires a certain amount of experience and sensitivity.
Pulse tip:This is how you show professional competence with your appearance
- Do not let any negative moods become apparent in your everyday work
- It is better to say too little than too much and to react calmly to surprising situations
- Listen carefully to your patient and occasionally repeat one of his statements
- What is export import
- Can cure black cow oil for HIV
- Who is Taylor Swift's daughter
- What is BPD EUPD
- Why aren't Uber and Lyft merging
- What should you expect from traveling?
- Wears emerald green work
- How have you been successful as an entrepreneur?
- How is gay life in Canada
- Might defeat Doctor Strange Lord Voldemort
- Are there foreigners in Chengdu
- Is there a Muslim in India
- Are people born gay?
- Is NYU grossly overrated
- What is the wage of Indian labor
- What are your favorite baked potato toppings
- Certificate of completion is required
- When did avocados become so popular?
- Danish foods are delicious
- How was the design done before AutoCad
- Is Mexico an exotic country
- What element is a diamond made of
- Which US military service should I join?
- Most dropshipping ecommerce websites fail
- Can an adverb change a noun phrase
- Which culture do you identify with the most?
- What is your most irritating disgusting habit
- Is television really unconscious of brainwashing people
- How safe is Assam
- What's your favorite feature of Gmail
- Is Eminem overrated
- Are flight group bookings cheaper
- What's your everyday fashion hack
- Is Christiano Ronaldo gay